Orlando Magic Training Camp Notes – Day 2 – Dwight Present, Smile Absent
Otis Smith spoke to the media today and confirmed for the first time publicly that Dwight Howard has indeed requested a trade. It’s been a rocky roller-coaster the last week in terms of Dwight Howard talk and that will continue for at least a little longer.
When Otis was asked if he expects a Dwight Howard trade within in the week he that he didn’t think so. There are a plenty of different scenarios that could alter that but Otis seems destined to do what is best long term for the Orlando Magic. The oft-repeated phrase throughout the short media session was that whatever is best for the Magic is what will happen.
A visibly emotional Dwight Howard spoke separately for 30 minutes after practice. That will be chronicled all over the web, so I am not going to spend much time on it here. The bottom line is that Dwight has asked to be traded, has come to terms with leaving, and it’s now only a short matter of time, barring a miracle, that Dwight Howard will be a member of the Orlando Magic.
Other notes from Day 2 training camp:
- Jason Richardson is coming back.
- Otis did express that it was originally surprising when Dwight requested a trade. Especially after 7.5 years together.
- Regarding allowing his agent to speak with other teams, Otis expressed that it’s not uncommon around the league for that scenario to happen.
- The Glen Davis and Von Wafer trade is still not finalized because of paperwork issues. Davis was in the building tonight but could not practice with the team.
- Otis also spoke about the amnesty of Gilbert Arenas and how hard it was to deliver that news to such a close friend. As hard as it was, it was necessary to make sure the team had the flexibility and ability to move on other players.
- The rookies that looked so sharp yesterday struggled a little bit today with practice. Stan admitted that they would likely have to scale back how much they input into the offense. Especially with all of the roster fluctuation.
The team is back at practice tomorrow at 4pm. Who will be there? I don’t know.
Powered by Sidelines