Orlando Magic Training Camp Notes – Day 3 – Dwight Dwight Dwight
Day three of training camp is complete and Stan Van Gundy has been extremely pleased with what he has seen from his team. He was not as gleeful regarding the continuing questions about Dwight Howard’s future and looked noticeably testy about the questions for the first time this week.
Stan commented several times about how while the media and the fan base may be fixated on Dwight, his job is to be focused solely on the Magic. Emphasizing that he has 12 guys to coach, not just Dwight. His best line of the night:
“This is not all about Dwight. I don’t know what he had for breakfast. I don’t know what he had for lunch.” Stan on the Dwight questions.
— MagicBBOnline-BSerra (@MagicBasketball) December 12, 2011
After a few rather silly Dwight questions, Stan grew frustrated and moved on to discussing actual basketball. Notes on the actual BASKETBALL played today are as follows:
- The most interesting non-Dwight note of the day comes via Hedo Turkoglu. When asked how Hedo looked, Stan perked up with some very telling words. He commented that Hedo has been more focused in the last 3 days than he has been in the entire time Stan has coached him. Stan particularly noted that Hedo has been focused on instilling good practice habits.
- Everyone on the team practiced today, including Dwight. Glen Davis, Von Wafer and Jason Richardson did not because their deals have still not been finalized.
- Stan commented yesterday that he was going to slow down the installation because he was starting to lose some of the new guys. The first day they worked on 16 sets, then 10 sets the second day and then only 1 new set today. He pointed out that it has nothing to do with the guys not being smart, just that it’s not fair to the 3 rookies who are seeing it for the first time.
- Stan also commented that whether Dwight Howard is on the team or not, the defensive principles will remain the same. Obviously losing the Defensive Player of the Year will hurt them greatly, but it won’t change the system.
- New Coach Mark Price will have a greater role than just as a shooting coach. Stan said that he will have Price working with the PGs quite a bit on how to perfect the little things like attacking a screen or how to be successful as a small PG in the league.
- The overall comment from Stan today was that he has been extremely pleased with how the 3 days have gone so far and he feels good about the guys he has around. Good to hear since he is likely going to have several different guys here real soon.
There is no practice tomorrow as the guys are getting the day off for Media Day. Next practice is Tuesday at 10am.Powered by Sidelines