Magic win game of runs to defeat Milwaukee
The Magic scored their 4th consecutive victory Friday night after defeating the Milwaukee Bucks 94 to 85 after closing out the game on a 17-0 run.
It started ugly and stayed that way up until the waning minutes of the game when Orlando claimed it’s first lead with 4:50 remaining on a Hedo Turkoglu fade away jumper. Mr. 4th quarter dropped in 10 of his 14 points in the 4th. The lead for Orlando was the first since 9:11 in the 1st quarter. #TURKTIME.
It was a game of runs.
A sluggish turnover laden first quarter saw the Magic listed for 4 turnovers, but if you counted bad possessions it was probably closer to 10. The Magic put up a season low 15 point first quarter, which happens to be the perfect recipe for a 12 point first quarter deficit.
Trailing by 15 points late in the second quarter, the Magic got a gift from the Bucks when Coach Scott Skiles inexplicably went to the Hack-a-Howard fouling technique with 2:55 remaining. The Magic would find a brief touch of motivation to close the half on a 14-1 run.
The Magic got within two at halftime, only to see Milwaukee open a 10 point lead midway through the 3rd quarter. They then tied the game 72-72 with a chance to take the lead at the end of the 3rd but a Redick missed three and a Dwight Howard offensive foul would allow the Bucks to survive the run. The Bucks immediately countered with another 9-0 run.
That’s when the Magic ratcheted up their intensity and finally started to “try”, as Stan Van Gundy put it. Feeding off Dwight Howard’s 4th quarter defense (2 blocks and 6 rebounds in the 4th), the team showed the type of fight that -pardon the cliche- just wins games.
“It’s a little frustrating to me that it has to get to that situation before we put out that kind of effort but at least we did it.” – Stan Van Gundy
It was an overall monster night for Dwight Howard as he recorded his 7th 20-20 game of the season, finishing with 26 points, 20 rebounds and 4 blocked shots. Ryan Anderson was the second leading scorer with 23 points.
More news, notes, analysis and tidbits below:
- Milwaukee scored just 11 4th quarter points shooting just 4-20 from the field.
- Big Baby Davis did not dress for tonight’s game. He attended a funeral for his father earlier in the day in Louisiana and was excused from playing. He has now lost his father and grandmother in a matter of weeks. Perhaps Magic fans can go a little easy with the boos next home game.
- Dwight Howard added to his list of teammates he has bloodied up tonight when Earl Clark received a bow to the mouth at the end of the first quarter. Congrats, Earl.
- The Magic have w0n 17 of the last 21 games against the Bucks and have won 11 straight at home. The last time the Bucks won in Orlando was December of 2004.
- Orlando is 15-2 this season when Ryan Anderson makes 3 or more 3-pointers. He had 4 made 3′s on the evening.
- A Dwight Howard technical foul, Jameer Nelson technical foul and a delay of game technical foul via Dwight Howard gave the Bucks 3 free points. For Dwight, it was 8th T of the season. For Jameer it was his 1st T.
- The Magic played 4-square with the ball most of the night turning it over and throwing the ball all over the court. They got lucky and escaped with a win, but going forward they simply can not rely on a hopeful 4th quarter comeback to win games.
The Magic are in action next on Sunday against the Heatles. Game time is set for 3:30.