Orlando Magic Suffer Super Sunday Defeat to Celtics
The Orlando Magic begin the NBA Commissioner Adam Silver era 0-1, losing in Boston to the Celtics 96-89. This was the only NBA contest of the day with Super Puppy Bowl Sunday garnering the vast majority of the sports spotlight. Boston finished 50% shooting from the field as Orlando never could figure out how to stop the Celtics from getting open jump shot looks.
Arron Afflalo led the Magic in scoring with 18 points, while Nikola Vucevic tallied a 14-point & 11-rebound double-double. The Celtics were led by Jared Sullinger who notched 21 points and 12 rebounds. Meanwhile, Rajon Rondo posted his best stats of the season with 19 points, 10 assists, and 6 rebounds.
- Without Jameer Nelson (sore knee), Orlando started its 14th different lineup of the season. Ball movement suffered greatly.
- Orlando trailed 27-19 after one period of play. Arron Afflalo had 8 points in the opening session, while former Magic man Brandon Bass at nine. Bass crushed his former employer with 19 points and 9 rebounds on the afternoon.
- Boston made the Magic pay for missed points in the paint opportunities as the Celtics led 54-45 at halftime. Rajon Rondo matched his season-high (13 points) heading into the locker room.
- Orlando found a way, mostly due to their bench, to go on a 10-2 run and only trailed 77-76 midway through the 4th period.
- Magic were within 2 points with two and a half minutes left, and then they fell apart. From offensive fouls to missed paint opportunities, Boston went on a 6-0 run and never looked back as the Celtics closed out the matinee affair.
The Magic play the Pacers in Indianapolis Monday to complete their brief back-to-back road trip.
mBo Crown Royal #ReignOn Tweet of the Night
— Clint Peterson (@Clintonite33) February 2, 2014
Adam Papageorgiou runs Orlando Magic Greek and is a proud MBO contributor.Powered by Sidelines