Magic Dispatch Rockets for 2nd Consecutive Summer League Win
The Orlando Magic are 2-0 in Summer League after dispatching of the Houston Rockets 87-69 in what was a comfortable victory. The Magic’s defense proved stifling, holding Houston to 32.4 FG% and 19.2 3PT% (5-of-26). Orlando was led by its rookies as Elfrid Payton posted 12 points, 9 assists, and 8 rebounds on 5-of-5 shooting. Aaron Gordon contributed 9 points and 7 rebounds. Dewayne Dedmon tallied 11 points, 6 rebounds, 2 blocks, and 3 steals.
Kadeem Batts has had back-to-back great outings as he posted 10 points and 7 rebounds against Houston. Seth Curry poured in 10 points off the bench (2-of-5 on 3s).
- Victor Oladipo didn’t suit up for the contest. He joined Maurice Harkless on the Magic’s bench as an observer. Vic was very vocal and supportive throughout the contest. That meant Elfrid Payton started and he looked infinitely more confident than on Saturday.
- Payton was the main reason Orlando began the game on a 10-3 run with some great dribbling, drives and finishes in the paint, and a few wonderful alley oop passes to Dewayne Dedmon.
- No Oladipo saw Seth Curry receive point guard minutes, and he had some fun pick-and-roll plays run successfully between himself and Kadeem Batts.
- Cameron Jones saw his first Summer League action as he displayed a smooth floater and midrange jumper game.
- Orlando’s defense was outstanding as they held the Rockets to 18.8 FG% (3-of-16). Magic led 23-11 after one quarter.
- Josh Magette and Luke Hancock made their Magic season debuts in the 2nd quarter. Orlando’s ball movement flowed wonderfully with Aaron Gordon being utilized a lot in side court pick-and-rolls. #00 punished Houston with drives to the hole and a few jump shot makes.
- Devyn Marble played PG and SG at Iowa, only to see him perform magnificently on both ends at small forward for the Magic for a second straight game.
- Orlando went up by nineteen points in the 2nd quarter thanks to Aaron Gordon’s powerful And-1 finish against a double team and then Elfrid Payton finding open room in the lane and throwing down a vicious 2-hand jam. These kids can fly.
- Payton finished the half with two offensive rebounds and two putback lay-ups in the final seconds of the first half.
- Orlando won the 2nd quarter as well, and led Houston 54-31 at the break. Elfrid had 9 points, 4 assists, 3 turnovers, and 3 rebounds at halftime. Aaron tallied 9 points and 6 rebounds. Batts and Marble each posted eight and seven points apiece.
- Orlando had trouble scoring in the 3rd period as Houston won the third period 18-11 and only trailed 65-49 entering the fourth period.
- Dewayne Dedmon opened up the fourth quarter with a great And-1 take to the hole as Orlando kept a comfortable cushion down the stretch.
- Orlando claimed 7 points by winning the first, second, and fourth quarters along with the game. They’re at 13 points total in the standings.
Scott Suggs came into the contest in the final 1:37 of the game. So that means Kendrick Perry is the only guy on Orlando’s Summer League roster not to play yet in the first two games. The Magic will face the Memphis Grizzlies at 3 p.m. on Tuesday.
Powered by Sidelines