Magic Lose to Marcus Smart and Boston Celtics
The Orlando Magic dropped their second consecutive game at Summer League, falling to the Boston Celtics 76-67. Marcus Smart looked bad in the first three periods, but made it count in the final quarter. Smart led all scorers with 19 points on 5-of-14 shooting.. The Magic were led by Seth Curry‘s 15 points off the bench. Kadeem Batts was the only other Orlando player in double figures with 10 points.
Aaron Gordon tallied 7 points and 8 rebounds on 3-of-10 shooting. Elfrid Payton poured in 8 points, 10 assists, 9 rebounds and 7 turnovers. Payton has definitely appeared much sharper than Aaron as the week has progressed. Devyn Marble may have shot 0-for-6 from the field, but grabbed 8 rebounds and dished out 2 assists. Orlando shot 37.3 FG% while Boston managed 32.4%. The Magic won the rebound battle 46-32.
- Victor Oladipo and Dewayne Dedmon did not suit up for the Magic, while Romero Osby did after resting his right shoulder on Tuesday. Kelly Olynyk didn’t dress for Boston.
- The Magic started Kadeem Batts, Romero Osby, Aaron Gordon, Kim English, and Elfrid Payton.
- All eyes were on the Elfrid Payton and Marcus Smart considering Smart was in consideration for the Magic’s #4 draft selection.
- Orlando’s ball movement looked good early as Elfrid connected with Aaron Gordon for an alley oop lay-up to open the contest, but Boston quickly turned up the pressure and the Magic so their spacing issues continue from Tuesday.
- The seriousness of every quarter was evident as Wes Unseld Jr. called a timeout with the Magic down 1 with 1.2 seconds remaining in the first quarter. Celtics took the crucial first period 15-14 despite Boston only shooting 33.3 FG%.
- Early in the second quarter, Aaron got a rebound and went coast-to-coast and drilled a runner off the glass. He’s going to come up with numerous athletic sequences like that in the coming years.
- Seth Curry was getting point guard and shooting guard minutes and he was knocking down some deep jumpers in the 2nd period. Curry led all scorers with 11 points at the break.
- Orlando won the second quarter and enjoyed a 32-29 lead at halftime. Osby added 6 points while Aaron Gordon was definitely playing better than on Tuesday. Gordon had 4 points and 5 boards. Elfrid didn’t attempt a shot but had 4 assists and 5 boards. Devyn Marble went 0-for-4, but he contributed 6 rebounds and 2 assists. Boston shot only 25.7 FG% and were out-rebounded by the Magic 30-13. Orlando had 13 offensive rebounds.
- The Magic pushed the lead to double digits thanks to two masterful drives by Elfrid that led to a runner and a lay-up. Payton was abusing Phil Pressey and getting to his spots on the court whenever. Just phenomenal quickness and vision.
- Celtics went on a 12-0 run in the middle of the third period to cut Orlando’s lead to just 1 point as the Celtics were able to get out in transition.
- Orlando was able to stabilize with the help of Elfrid, Cam Jones, and Vernon Macklin being the Magic’s best center option.
- The Magic lost the 3rd quarter but still led Boston 50-49 entering the 4th quarter.
- The 4th quarter didn’t get much better as Orlando struggled to find their offense as Boston eeked out the victory behind Marcus Smart waking up when it mattered most.
As far as the standings go, the Magic have 16 points total after four games, and will play in the 5th-6th place contest on Championship Day early Friday morning.
Powered by Sidelines